Court Upholds Arrest Warrant Against Former Minister Sadiya Farouq

Court hearing involving former minister Sadiya Farouq in Abuja

A Federal Capital Territory High Court in Apo, Abuja, has sustained the arrest warrant earlier issued against former Minister of Humanitarian Affairs, Sadiya Umar Farouq, over alleged fraud involving $1.3 million and N746.7 million.

Justice Jude Onwuegbuzie ruled on Monday that the bench warrant issued against the former minister in April would remain active pending her appearance before the court.

EFCC Prosecutes Former Minister

The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission is prosecuting Farouq alongside Bashir Nura Alkali and Sani Nafiu Mohammed.

The defendants are facing allegations bordering on criminal conspiracy, abuse of office and diversion of public funds.

Court sustains arrest warrant against Sadiya Farouq after the former minister failed to appear in court during resumed proceedings for arraignment.

Prosecutor Opposes Fresh Delay

Counsel for the EFCC, Rotimi Jacobs (SAN), informed the court that Farouq was absent without explanation despite earlier assurances from her legal team.

According to the prosecutor, the second defendant surrendered himself after the initial arrest warrant was issued by the court.

Court sustains arrest warrant against Sadiya Farouq as the prosecution urged the judge not to vacate the order until the former minister appears before the court.

Jacobs also reminded the court that Farouq’s counsel had previously requested time to produce his client for arraignment.

Defence Says Farouq Is Receiving Treatment in Egypt

Responding to questions from the court, Farouq’s lawyer, Oladipo Okpesheyi (SAN), said the former minister was currently in Egypt for medical treatment.

He explained that a medical report received by the defence indicated that she was not medically fit to attend court proceedings.

Court sustains arrest warrant against Sadiya Farouq despite the defence’s request for another adjournment to allow her recovery.

The defence further informed the court that doctors advised the former minister to remain under treatment for about two months.

Judge Warns Against Trial Delays

Justice Onwuegbuzie criticised what he described as repeated attempts to delay the trial process.

The judge said the court would not tolerate unnecessary adjournments and insisted that the defendant must appear at the next hearing.

Court sustains arrest warrant against Sadiya Farouq while the matter was adjourned until June 8, 2026, for arraignment.

EFCC Previously Declared Ex-Minister Wanted

The anti-graft agency had earlier declared the former minister wanted over allegations linked to abuse of office and diversion of public funds.

In a public notice signed by EFCC spokesperson Dele Oyewale, the commission asked members of the public with information about Farouq’s whereabouts to contact its offices nationwide.

Court sustains arrest warrant against Sadiya Farouq as investigations and legal proceedings continue over the allegations brought against the former minister.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *